Scouting Notes: Marquette upset No. 13 Parkway South
Wed April 25, 2012
Marquette picked up a big upset win a Suburban West Conference game, shutting out host Parkway South 5-0 on Tuesday afternoon. Junior RHP Matt Hink picked up the win for Marquette. With the win, Marquette improves to 9-10 overall as 5-3 in the league, while Parkway South falls to 14-6 overall and 6-3 in the conference.
- Hink threw a complete game shut, scattering nine hits, and was helped by a Marquette defense that turned a season high four double plays. Hink consistently got ahead of the batters, throwing seventeen first pitch strikes, and his fastball sat 82-84 mph on the afternoon.
- Ryan Blake got an RBI in the fourth inning, scoring Danny Mannion on a squeeze bunt.
- Kory Laughbaum led the Marquette offense, with a bases loaded double in the sixth inning, clearing the bases and giving Marquette a 5-0 cushion.
- Marquette picked up the win, while only collecting four hits on the afternoon, compared to nine hits for Parkway South.
- Parkway South’s Jake Bentz and Ty Stahl each had two hits for Parkway South.
“We made the most out of four hits today, it was a gritty win for us today,’ Said Marquette head coach John Meyer.